Dropbox, phxDropboxLib and HTTP POST

Dave Kilroy dave at businessplaninsight.com
Sat Jun 22 07:48:24 EDT 2013

Hi all

I'm using Guglielmo Braguglia's excellent Dropbox library (http://www.phoenixsea.ch/downloads/Livecode/phxDropboxLib.zip) to enable uploading and downloading files to the same Dropbox account from desktop (OSX and Windows) and mobile (iOS and Android) apps.

How I envisage it working is that a 'lead' customer buys the app and either links his/her app to an existing Dropbox account or else sets up a special account just for use by the app. Other users that want to share communication with the 'lead' customer can link their copies of the app by entering the 'lead' customer's token key and token secret provided by Dropbox.

This means (with Guglielmo's library) I can offer group-wide, platform-independent communication between users of the app which seems pretty cool to me. The app is set up to Dropbox's 'sandbox' meaning it is limited to a specific folder within the special 'apps' folder in a Dropbox account. For all Dropbox experts out there does this sound like a sensible approach?

However there is one wrinkle - LiveCode hasn't implemented HTTP PUT on mobile yet and when writing a file to Dropbox from a mobile device we are limited to using HTTP POST - and I can't figure out (yep I've asked Guglielmo and he can't either) how to write a file to a sub-folder of the app's root folder on Dropbox from an app on a mobile device - I can do it from a desktop app when I can use PUT, but not from mobile when using POST

Any POST and/or Dropbox experts out there who could shed some light on the situation?

Kind regards

Dave