old habits are hard to break

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 01:26:46 EDT 2013

On 06/21/2013 02:04 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some of those habits are not necessarily  a bad thing as not all of your
>> end-users are
>> going to have the "all-singing, all-dancing machine" you obviously have!
> For what I'm doing, they're going to be reasonably up to date.
>
> But what's getting me is the stuff that *really* doesn't matter, like
> shaving a couple of bytes off of variable names, and agonizing over
> something that will take a millisecond or less when someone touches a
> key . . .
>
> An 8080 processed, at best, a couple of hundred thousand instructions
> a second, and accessed, at most, 2 million bytes a second.
>
> I get billions of multi-byte words a second . . .

Well that is rather the same as my being extremely mean when removing
the core of a green pepper,
cutting as near to the stem as possible, because at one time in my life
I was really living on the edge,
financially (when I was in the USA); while now I can both afoord lots of
green peppers and live in
a country where they are super abundant.

Richmond.