"One Year Free" (Subscriptions)

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Thu Jun 20 18:26:47 EDT 2013

 > "Please note this is a subscription license, which will
 > automatically renew annually. You may cancel it at any time.
 > If you cancel your access to LiveCode will revert to the
 > Open Source Community Edition and you will no longer be able
 > to build closed source apps."

Howdy,

Richmond and Warren, thanks for posting about this! Somehow I had been
absent minded and forgotten about it being a subscription with LC
Complete and the new Commercial.

Probably it means access to new versions - not affecting any existing
installed version? That's how Complete works, so I feel pretty confident
that this works the same. Definitely worth clarifying. I don't think
it's technically possible for your installed Commercial version to
"revert" to OSS version; they are different and separate.

But another problem with subscriptions is that you must remember to have
a certain sum available in a certain bank or credit line annually, you
don't choose the best day for payment, plus you can't use PayPal.

If you forget about it, it could also cause trouble if you're using
debit/bank rather than credit. For example you happen to have $550 in
that account on that day, and you wrote a local check for $100 a couple
days ago that will attempt to post soon after the auto deduction. (I
know that's a matter of account management, but most of my auto
deductions are monthly and that helps to remember and allocate funds for
them.)

For a larger sum, $500, I really do not want to use a subscription that
automatically deducts! It would be so much better to get one or more
emails that say "Hey, your RunRev subscription is about to expire!" but
leave the actual payment up to me, so that I can choose the best time
and source for it.

LC Commercial is worth every penny of that payment - but I would love to
be the one to pull the trigger on the payment rather than having it go
off automatically. :)

Thanks again for the reminder!

Best wishes,

Curry K.