synonyms

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jun 15 13:08:13 EDT 2013

The product of engine development is both the engine and a reference.  Indeed, the value of the engine is mostly in the knowledge of it, that is in the reference.  It is from the reference information that the dictionary, tutorials, books and engine help will come.  (And where the reference is weak, from experience.)  By engine, I mean as seen by those who use it LiveCode.

Much of the engine reference can indeed be embedded in the engine.  But, in general, that need not be so.  The dictionary summary can even be part of the engine, developers might be required to add a short description of each command and property.  But, it is the whole kit, the engine plus reference that matters.  In the other direction, the reference might be the dictionary.  Perhaps pro forma entries can be made to the dictionary, maybe online, before engine changes are made.  People can review that.

If information about the engine is shifted from an external reference to the engine, that should be considered in a broad and general sense.  It should not, I think at this time, be piecemeal here and there but under some philosophy the minimizes the concepts involved in LiveCode, somehow rich and powerful.

This might be an indication that some low level raw view of the engine and of stacks is important.  That can be provided by the IDE or plugins.  It can be provided by an enhancement of the dictionary.  That need not be an engine thing.

I like the idea of keeping the pair, engine and reference, very simple.  But, simple and rich, I'm not against additions.  And I don't mind that some engine information is provided by the engine.  However, after thinking about it, I lean toward information being in the reference.  A little.  I can be swayed.  (However, I am fully against a caveat in the reference explaining some corner missing in capability, when it would be as easy to fill in the corner in the engine.)

Dar