a *fast* check for whether another machine is on the local network?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 13 20:07:55 EDT 2013

Would a timeout you control be satisfactory?

I was picturing LAN rather than VPN, so I was imagining a 50 ms timeout, but maybe you will need a second.

The timeout spec for Windows ping has ms resolution.  The timeout for OS X ping has a second resolution.  You can try the arp test first.

You can try opening a socket to a known service.  Or, if the computer is not stealth, even to a port that has no service listening on it.  There are a few gotchas, but that can work.  You have to do your own timeout.

Dar