a *fast* check for whether another machine is on the local network?

Daryl Williams daryl at synergetic-data.com
Thu Jun 13 18:11:52 EDT 2013

It sounds like what you are really looking for is a local gateway to get
to the Internet, and to where ever the time entries are made?

It is a convention may administrators use to put gateways at either end
of the local network, i.e. nnn.nnn.nnn.1 or nnn.nnn.nnn.255, but you
would still need to know the network address prefix, and it would still
not be 100% reliable if the gateway has actually been placed at a
different address.

There is also a router discovery protocol called "ICMP Router Discovery
Messages" described in RFC 1256, available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1256 that may be of help. There is another
fairly good description of it  available at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957901.aspx.

Good Luck.

Daryl