What is your vote for charting?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 9 16:31:15 EDT 2013

Skip wrote:
> I need to produce some good looking charts in my app.
>
> What is your vote: Charts Engine or  ChartMaker?

I don't yet have experience with either, and both developers have a good
reputation for well-conceived APIs, so it may be a close call.

For myself, one requirement both myself and my clients have for
libraries is that we have the option to acquire a limited license for
modifying the source within a proprietary work.  Whether we need to
modify it some some app-specific need, or just need to make an emergency
bug fix for some unexpected change in the engine, being able to do so is
essential for us.

Curry Kenworthy has done a great job on that with licensing options for
his WordLib and other libraries.  He provides an option that costs a
multiple of the standard usage license, and grants the licensee the
right to modify the source however they may need for their work, while
restricting redistribution of the library by itself so it protects his
own interests as well.

I recently had a correspondence with Hugh Senior (ChartMaker) on this,
and while we haven't yet sealed the deal I don't think he'd mind me
noting that he was receptive to the idea.

I don't know if Charts Engine provides such an option, but it seems at
least worth asking for.  In practical terms, for a library developer it
means a much larger check and a smaller support obligation, so it seems
a good deal all around.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World