[OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Paul Maguire me at paulmaguire.me
Sun Jun 9 10:56:59 EDT 2013

I just deleted an almighty response after remembering that I was to beware the troll.

Instead, I'd like to consider the interesting cultural phenomenon of 'internet gentlemanly language eccentricity'. It's something I am witnessing more an more, every day. The basic gist is that many people seem to be using a heady mixture of Victorian English crossed with medievalism - Doctor Who-style. What I am encountering is lots of expressions like 'methinks', 'jolly good', 'good sir', 'spiffing', 'kind gentleman' etc. etc. It's rife and viral.

It runs in parallel with the fashion for beards, brogue shoes, flicky public-school haircuts, tweed, and names that sound like parts of middle England. It's like Monty Python meets Blackadder. And it must be stopped.

Clearly not as disturbing as what is happening in Turkey and the responses of certain LC list members methinks.