I'm a Happy Kickstart Camper . . .

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 15:12:15 EDT 2013

On 06/07/2013 08:27 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond <richmondmathewson at ...> writes:
>
>> [ although I am still very curious to know what RunRev's rationale of
>> having that in the first place was ]
> I realize you didn't ask for my guess about this, but... I think it was a
> misguided attempt to do things like know the size of the user base, keep
> users informed of updates, etc.
>
>> so will probably be using 6.0.2 on various Debian derivatives, and will
>> get my wife to translate a note for the parents
>> as to how they have to do the online Reg. at home for the kiddos on
>> their Windows boxes (this because I cannot work out
>> where the licences should go in Windows; especially XP).
> Try C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/RunRev/Licenses

Now, when I go to C:\Documents and Settings\RM on my XP install on
VMware Player 5.0.2
there is NO "Application Data" folder, which is 'gae queer' to say the
least.

When I make a new folder and try to call it 'Application Data' XP makes
a funny noise and
tells me that folder already exists; so it must be hidden in some way
(and, unlike Linux, one
cannot just go "show hidden files") . . . Aha, gottit . . . but will the
Mummies and Daddies
who haven't a clue about computers? not exactly obvious.

On my Windows 7 install (similarly on VMware) I end up with something
entirely different from what
you describe:

(and it took a bit of pissing around to find this)

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\RunRev\Licenses

Does this mean that there are a number of possibilities re Windows 7
(that's an ugly thought) ?

Richmond.