[OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:45:59 EDT 2013

On 06/07/2013 03:27 AM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:
> @Jacque,
> I'm also happy to see that *remarkable* people and to be with them.
> As I said, there is still hope for Homo Sapiens :)
>
> @Andrew,
> I'm an anarchist since I've read *The Dispossessed* of Ursula Le Guin when I was a child.
> But it was hard to believe that it can be realized.
> Seeing that I was wrong, is liberating.
>

> ~ Ender Nafi
>
> ~… together, we're smarter & stronger …~

Well, Ender, I have a few things to say . . .

1. The police, as far as I can see, in Turkey, are being very
heavy-handed indeed.

2.  While the initial protest may have been about some trees this seems
to have got beyond that.

3.  In theory I am what is called an Anarcho-Capitalist (no, that is not
a contradiction), in that I do
NOT like state control of almost anything, but I do believe in private
property and people being
able to enjoy the full fruits of their labours (rather than have them
stolen by a state that feels no need
to explain what it is doing with them).

4. In practise I am not an anarchist because my experience suggests that
humans are not up to the standard
of managing to function properly in a state of true anarchy, and I am
worried that in that sort of situation
criminal elements would seize control.

5. I admire the courage of all of you in Taksim square (regardless of
your political stance) and wish you
well, and, whatever the final outcome pray that the perpetrators of the
police outrages are brought to
justice.

6. As I live right next-door to you in Bulgaria (where we have a
sizeable Turkish-speaking majority)
this is more immediate to me that perhaps it is to those on the Use-list
who live in the West.

7. If you require any help (such as somewhere to have a "political
holiday" for a bit) feel free to write to me
off-list.

Richmond.