Getting Kanji from a .csv file

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Fri Jun 7 10:29:30 EDT 2013

I do a lot of work with kanji; but not much with kanji and
LiveCode, so I didn't jump into this thread earlier...

Actually, the way TextEdit handles kanji is a complete mystery to
me. Files it ought to open correctly, it doesn't. For example,
TextEdit bungles the .csv files I output from Numbers. Yet, if I
open the .csv with a text editor that supports different
encodings, such as TextWrangler, the Numbers exported .csv opens
properly (readable) and reports itself as a UTF8 encoded file.

Another nice feature of TextWrangler is that if you open a file
with the wrong encoding and you see a screen full of garbage, TW
has a menu option to re-open the current file with a different
encoding of your choice.

Another quick way to check on the true encoding of a text file
(.txt) is to open it with a browser, and then use the browser's
"view with encoding xyz" feature until you get a readable page.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan