mobile image gallery / slider - web or standalone based?

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 07:21:08 EDT 2013

Yes, my file-based method is purely to avoid needing to run a server at all (because it's really cheap just to host files on, say, Amazon S3) but if you run your own servers anyway then it's a much neater solution to have a simple API to tell you which images you need to download and where to get them from.  The usual pattern here is for the app to store the date of the last time it refreshed it's local cache and send this to the server every time it starts up to find out if it needs to download any updates.  This way you can use server side timestamps for everything and avoid the problem of device time skew.

Mark