Successful recipe for LC iPhone apps...

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 5 11:06:18 EDT 2013

I haven't submitted an app but here's my take on the official Apple stance and what it means:

All apps have to support the iPhone 5 resolution (or 4" Retina) and retina displays since May 1st.

The iPhone 5 thing is clear - your app must scale to that resolution and not run in compatibility mode (with the black bars top and bottom).  IIRC you need to include a Default-568h at 2x.png file (640x1136 px) image for the system not to put you in compatibility mode - even if it's a plain black one.

The retina display support thing is not clear - if your app doesn't look great on a retina display they might reject it.  Scaling images up programatically is definitely not banned though.  If you're building native apps with Xcode they obviously want you to include @2x variants of all your images but the situation for apps built with other tools is less clear. I'm guessing most apps that include the default.png in all the @2x variants will probably be OK for now, since that's the only thing they can easily check programatically at submission time.

Position independent code is only a warning for now and RunRev will fix that problem in a forthcoming release by setting the appropriate compile/link flags - looks like it's to do with a new security feature Apple are enabling to get better traction in the enterprise market.

You do definitely need LC 6.0.2 (or 5.5.5) to get the UDID fix though.

Mark