Another bizarre Apple patent troll case, in which Runtime Revolution plays a bit part

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jun 4 03:11:42 EDT 2013

I would love to see inventors prosper.  I recognize the debates in the moral standing of IP.  I know many ideas have come up and were not developed.  I know how easy it is to see a good idea, maybe an invention, and think it is obvious in one's trade, and it might be.  We have different ideas on what an invention is.

Yet I see an environment in which creativity is stifled or is abused.  The craziest things and the most trivial things are patented.  Some patents are for the classic temporary sole use.  More are for suing others.  More are to keep from being sued.  A growing number are to prevent being sued for failure to patent.  If you make a product, you need to invent all you can to keep others from stopping you from making it.  In recent history, companies have been blocked from using their own trade secrets of two decades because the courts said they neglected or mocked the patent system.  The whole system is in runaway.

Federal law and international treaties created a great burden for innovators in the US.  (Licensing is also a burden, but not near as much.)  I imagine it is similar elsewhere.

I hope we see changes that improve the atmosphere of creativity.

Dar