playing mp4 videos without QT-player?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 3 08:41:46 EDT 2013

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:

> I didn't follow all the details of the kickstarter roadmap for LC, but are
> there any plans to replace the QT-player with some more handsome "native"
> player or any alternatives for win and mac for one single video format?

Yes - see "Reworked Multimedia Support: £441,000" here in the Stretch Goals:
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode/posts?page=2>

> Or is there actually already today an alternative for one video format to be
> played on both platforms, what I might have missed in the last years?

Relatively few formats play well with both the native Win and Mac
playback engines.

The API LC uses on Windows is dependent on MCI, which Microsoft has
deprecated some time ago.  This leaves us with few options for video
playback using non-QT methods on that platform.

Some older AVI codecs will work, but I'll leave it for Colin and others
who have more experience to offer a more definitive suggestion.

And for those that do work, if you need to play from a specific
startTime you'll soon discover that the startTime only works with QT
currently. :(

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World