Graphic tools - works in IDE, fails in Standalone

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Jun 2 11:18:59 EDT 2013

I have a desktop app (Mac and PC) under development. It has a small drawing palette (vector graphics only). The user picks a type of object to draw (rectangle, oval etc) and can also alter the fill, line size etc. The drawing actions take place on a card which is permanently open.

This works perfectly well in the IDE (LC 6 commercial on a Mac), but in the standalone, some of the tools don't behave properly: for example the rectangle tool draws little fixed-size square, and the oval tool draws a little fixed-size circle at the mouseLoc. Others do work, e.g. the line tool. I have put in various debugging routines to show that the tools do get picked correctly and indeed that they start working on each 'mouseDown' (yes I pass the mouseDown).

This strange behaviour is identical in both the Mac and Windows standalones. I suppose I made it happen, but I can't imagine how. In this app I don't have any third-party libraries or anything to make unexpected changes to objects. Initially I chose the inclusions for the standalone myself, but switching to automatic didn't make any difference.

As an experiment, I made a very simple standalone that consists only of a mainstack with one card (the drawing area) and a substack with one card (the tool palette) with three tools - rectangle, oval and line). It also works in the IDE but not as a standalone, tho in this case it will only draw lines, and it won't draw rectangles or ovals at all!

Can anyone suggest what is happening and why it doesn't happen in the IDE? Could it be a bug? Seems unlikely since similar tools work in the IDE itself. I'm stuck.

TIA

Graham