keeping track of the open cards for update

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 26 16:38:48 EDT 2013

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > On 27/07/2013, at 6:15 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >>> Using ID is always the quickest way to access anything.
 >>
 >> Why is that?
 >>
 >> Mark, Monte - have you guys stumbled across how object references
are resolved in the code base?

 > I haven't really looked into it but it makes sense that an integer
 > comparison will be faster than a string comparison. Objects are
 > arranged internally as doubly linked lists in the hierarchy of
 > objects so to find the actual instance it needs to iterate over the
 > objects to find them and compare the id or name to what's being
 > looked for.

Yes, I've always believed that name was the slowest option, but it's the
iteration that made me thinking that ordinal references would be at
least as fast, and possibly faster since the lookup is ordinal by nature
anyway but ordinal references require no additional ID comparison.

 > There is also the id cache that was introduced a few versions
 > ago that keeps track of re-uses of ids and make them faster.

I found that interesting when it first showed up but have been unable to
come up with a way to benchmark the improved performance.

Anyone here have a sample script that shows off how well ID caching works?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World