keeping track of the open cards for update

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Jul 26 16:24:52 EDT 2013

On 27/07/2013, at 6:15 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>> Using ID is always the quickest way to access anything.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Mark, Monte - have you guys stumbled across how object references are resolved in the code base?

I haven't really looked into it but it makes sense that an integer comparison will be faster than a string comparison. Objects are arranged internally as doubly linked lists in the hierarchy of objects so to find the actual instance it needs to iterate over the objects to find them and compare the id or name to what's being looked for. There is also the id cache that was introduced a few versions ago that keeps track of re-uses of ids and make them faster.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!