How to manage file name containing a date with /

André Bisseret andre.bisseret at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 22 11:39:23 EDT 2013

Sorry again, Dar, I am not speedy enough to answer (am not enough fluent in english ;-)

Le 22 juil. 2013 à 17:05, Dar Scott a écrit :

> On Jul 22, 2013, at 8:36 AM, André Bisseret wrote:
>
>> Thanks Dar for your prompt reply
>>
>> Le 22 juil. 2013 à 15:16, Dar Scott a écrit :
>>
>>> André,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why this will not work to create the file name:
>>>
>>> get "Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09" & numToChar(240) & "2013.pdf"
>>>
>> I am doing something similar :
>> put quote & numToChar(240) into tVar
>
> put numToChar(240) into tVar

I tried that one too but does not work :-((

>> replace ":" with tVar in tDocName
>> so that I obtain the same tDocName as those you are suggesting
>> then I build the filename of the document (the document is in the same folder as the stack from which I try to launch it)
>> so I put the fileName of this stack into tPath
>> set the itemdel to slash
>> then I put tDocName into last item of tPath
>> so that I get something like "C:/Users/aBisseret/…/…/Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09"ð2013.pdf
>> but then
>> launch document tPath does not work!
>
> That is what I was suggesting, with the fix above.  But, now I have less faith in that.  It might be that that character is not really there but is displayed by Windows Explorer.

>>> I think I might not be understanding the situation.  Are these all files on a network file server or a portable storage?  They look one way (with colons) on a Mac (with colons) and look another way on Windows (with the dot)?
>>>
>> A folder "Joe PATIENT" is on the disk of the computer. In this folder there is a sub-folder where are a stack say "Consultation Joe PATIENT" and, at the same level, the documents (files) that concerns him (a dozen or so)
>> On the stack "Consultation Joe PATIENT" there are "buttons" (kind of) , one for each document the name of which being a custom property of the button.
>> I am trying to launch these document in the script of these buttons.
>>
>> I hope I am not too obscure
>
> I think I'm obtuse.  How did files with bad file names get created to begin with?
>
> Or do you think that there is a file "2013.pdf" in the folder named ""Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09"?  Then maybe a slash would work.  The colon is the old path segment divider for the Mac.
No there is not a file "2013.pdf, nor a folder "Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09"
Only a PDF file named "Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09/2013.pdf (in the folder "DOCS BASE"
Then when building a sub-list from that:
":" instead of "/" on Mac and the dot instead of "/" on Windows
as I better explain (I hope ;-) in my previous answer

André