How to manage file name containing a date with /

André Bisseret andre.bisseret at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 22 08:50:35 EDT 2013

Bonjour,

Jacque, Dar and Peter, thank you much for your attention to my problem.
Since your posts I made a number of trials during the weekend, following your suggestions but with no success.

Reminder : the names of the files I am trying to launch from script have the following format :
Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09/2013.pdf

On Mac the slash is replace automatically by colon (:) (don't know why!)
Anyway, all is working well
I can open a file by double-clicking on it in the folder
And, I can launch it by script (using its filename). No problem.
-------
On Windows, the : (colon) is replaced with what seems to be a character ( a kind of dot. (or small bullet point?) with a sort of white space before it and a white space after. But, these are not "space" character (one can't delete them; on can only select the all
 - Double-clicking on a document opens it (good)

- But to launch a document from a script I need to replace : (colon) with this dot in the filename of the document.
I can't!!!
- When  I copy this "dot" and paste it in the script editor, it is immediately replaced with "?"
and replacing colon by ? does not work
-----
I tried pasting it in the message box: there, it is immediately replace with "ð :(quote followed by ð
trying to replace colon :
- I can't use  "ð (I suppose it's because they are 2 characters)
- trying only ð does not work

- In the message box of the PC I tried to get the number of this (kind of) dot
put CharToNum('') and pasting a copy of the "dot" between the 2 quotes as suggested by Jacque
the dot is immediately replaced by "ð
and I get the error: error: Script: missing " after literal

the ASCII number of " is 34 and those of ð is 240
so I tried put numToChar(34) & numToChar(240) into tVar
replace ":" by tVar in tDocName > does not work

I don't know what I could do next?

Dar, there are several thousands files with such names ; I can't imagine the only solution be to change ( manually) all these names!
I am using livecode (rev) since 2006; it is the first time I am blocked that much

Any other idea?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help

Best regards

André