UK Ordnance Maps and LiveCode

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Jul 22 07:54:18 EDT 2013

Having had quite a lot to do with the official UK Geographical Mapping agency, Ordnance Survey (producers of very high quality, detailed mapping data) and their rather odd business model, I am hoping to to attend a meeting on 2nd August where they will introduce their new iOS SDK. I assume that LiveCoders won't be able to use this unless someone builds an external, so since this is an area of interest for me, I may be in the market for such a thing. That's why I didn't put [OT] at the beginning of this mail.

Meanwhile, any Brits interested should follow up

http://response.gv-c.com/Mail/View/144?a=4E08E3FDE9C25AAFC5244743EB3E7446&r=C92DC53C4C23F04A2ACD586DFC35C646

The OS is interesting in that it seems to have conflicting statutory duties with regard to data - to enhance British life and businesses by giving it away, and at the same time to make money out of it. This has already resulted in some rival iOS apps, some of which sell the data and some which give it away!

Graham