Genymotion Android emulator

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 13:59:02 EDT 2013

On 07/20/2013 08:23 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:02:38 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Setting the thing up was, inevitably, slightly difficult as,
>> inevitably, the setup instructions were slightly wrong (but that is
>> normal for Linux).
> As I am about to install this thing next week, would you care to share
> any insights about that process?

Well . . .

The first thing is to get VirtualBox sorted out on your system.

The second thing is that Genymotion looks for the SDK which is hard to
locate:

~/android-sdks/sdk  (where '~' is your Home folder),

don't let yourself be distracted by 'android-sdk-linux'

after that it goes "all funny" about something that is supposed to be in
the /etc/init.d folder, but isn't; so you have to do some fiddling around,
and quite how the thing worked because of my fiddling around I cannot
really say.

After that things seem comparatively straightforward, and I suspect the
best way to
get an Android standalone onto one of the devices is by uploading it to
some website
and then downloading it from inside the emulated device.

Unfortunately right now I've got a lot of "extraneous stuff" on my
plate, but I hope, come
Sunday night I will be able to upload some reasonably pretty pictures to
the Forum.

Richmond.