QT playback of remote files

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Jul 17 19:01:10 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> On 7/17/13 1:25 PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>>

>> Instead of 'start player 1' try 'set the playrate of player 1 to 1'. Does
>> that have any affect?
>>

> Ohhh... I think it does! I haven't tested thoroughly but I haven't had any
> failures yet. I vaguely recall something about this but that was back
> before I needed to know it. What's the deal with "playrate"?

Hopefully that will fix the problem. The 'playrate' is a QuickTime property
that I always used back in the days of LiveStage Pro (a QuickTime authoring
environment). When I started using LiveCode I always used 'playrate'
(rather than 'start player') out of habit. When I saw reports of problems
with 'start player' the problems were often resolved by switching to 'set
playrate'.

I just took a look at the engine source code and the engine is making
different calls to get the movie playing with 'start player' then when you
set 'the playrate'. When setting the 'playrate' QuickTime is completely
responsible for getting the movie to play back properly.

> I think I owe you yet again, Trevor.

Just send more feed for my children. Nuts and berries will do.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems