positioning stacks off screen in Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 03:28:56 EDT 2013

On 07/13/2013 03:18 AM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 12:00 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
>> One of the commonly suggested methods of hiding stacks is setting their
>> location to something that places them out of the view window. This is
>> not working correctly here under openSUSE/KDE/KWin. A stack's location
>> is constrained to the available viewport unless it has been previously
>> dragged and placed so that some part of it past the screen edge. Once
>> that is done, a stack can be positioned anywhere outside the viewport
>> until it is completely within it and we return to our original problem.
>> In order for any part of a stack to be positioned outside the viewport,
>> some part of it must already appear beyond a screen edge.
>>
>> This does not happen under Windows. Do users of other Linux
>> distros/DEs/window managers find this same behavior?
>>
>> Warren
>>

> Trying this is Mint 9 in VirtualBox is even worse. Stacks cannot be
> moved completely out of view no matter what I try.
>
> Anyone else?

UbuntuStudio 13.04

LC Community 6.1

3 cups of coffee

Well: I made a new mainStack (400,400) which I called "PO" (for want of
anything else) and typed this into
the message box:

move stack "PO" to -700,-700

it moved, but left its bottom right corner in the top, left of my
screen; so that, obviously, won't do.

When I typed: set the vis of stack "PO" to false, the stack disappeared

and . . .

on typing: set the vis of stack "PO" to true, the stack reappeared

and I have a funny feeling that is what you want to happen.

Richmond.