Chained Behaviors

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 12 16:31:26 EDT 2013

On 7/12/13 2:47 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM, J. Landman Gay
> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:
>
>> Remember that behaviors are not a single handler, they are whole scripts.
>> I have several sprites that require different behaviors on mouseUp but they
>> all have the same behaviors on mouseDown. With a chained behavior, I could
>> have placed the mouseDown handler into the "top" of the chain and different
>> mouseUp handlers in each separate behavior script underneath that:
>>
>>         on mouseDown
>>           doDownStuff
>>         end mouseDown
>>           /        \
>> on mouseUp       on mouseUp
>>   doBehavior1       doBehavior2
>> end mouseUp      end mouseUp
>>

> OK, good example, thanks.  I have to ask, though, why not have the unique
> mouseUp handlers in the sprite scripts and a behavior script for the common
> mouseDown handler?

Well, there are four different behaviors (so far,) applied to hundreds
of objects spread across dozens of stacks. If I needed to change
anything, I'd be in there for weeks or I'd have to script an
auto-scripter. Also, the bulk of all those repetitions would
unnecessarily increase the stack size. One of the mouseUp behaviors is
200 lines long.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com