Chained Behaviors

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jul 12 14:40:07 EDT 2013

In my case, I've been waiting years for something like chained behaviors.
I create a lot of custom controls, and the limit of a single behavior per
control was not enough.

At the control level, I use functions and commands are exclusive to a
single control.  But at a higher level, I want a set of common
functions/commands that can be used by multiple controls, so I don't have
to maintain the same handlers in multiple behaviors.

Until now, the only way to get this work was using front/backScripts or a
library stack.  But in all these cases the common functions/commands would
be available to every LiveCode object and could be called by accident or
potentially affect controls that weren't mine.  Using chained behaviors
allows you to keep handlers localized to only the controls that use them.

I have built a system that uses one behavior for a wide range of controls
using switch statements, and the higher the number of controls you have to
support, the more complex and messier the code gets.  Chained behaviors
gives you another option to modularize your code.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design