Memory usage

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed Jul 3 14:53:13 EDT 2013

On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:21 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 7/3/13 12:29 PM, Paul Looney wrote:
>> If Jacque's program is too big to work with 8 G of RAM, an SSD should
>> be a trivial expense to run it properly.
>> How big IS it?
>
> It's for students and they will run the app on their own machines. My concern is for students with old machines, or school lab computers with minimum RAM.
>
> The project has an engine with all the shared code, and hundreds of content stacks that are loaded on demand from a server. The student can open as many as they want. They won't have a hundred stacks open at once, but they could easily have ten or twelve, maybe more. Most stacks are around 3 megs, give or take, some are closer to 5 MB. The stacks have destroystack set to false so that they stay resident, which allows navigation between them without having to re-download from the server each time. Nothing is ever written to disk. The engine and its resources must always remain open of course, and it is about 5 megs so far. It will be more when it becomes a standalone.
>
> Each stack has multiple movie and audio content that will be streamed. In general, two or three players will be open and running per card. Generally these are maybe 15 MB for a movie and 300K per audio in their compressed sizes (m4a and m4v.) I don't know what they become in RAM while playing.
>
> The app also has to hold 2-3 megs of data permanently in variables for internal functions.
>
> I have the main "engine" and three stacks open right now in the IDE. I haven't loaded any players yet or any of the stored variable content data. Console shows 270 MB in real memory and 218 MB in virtual memory. I'm not sure how much of that is the IDE.
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox are showing larger amounts.

Jacque,

Why not set the destroyStack to true, and save the stacks as they are downloaded from the server to specialFolderPath("temporary")? Then they would open quickly when re-called. You could make sure the temporary cache was deleted before quitting.

Devin

Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University
http://university.livecode.com