Valentina DB, SQLite and DBLib

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Jul 2 15:58:39 EDT 2013

On 7/2/13 1:47 PM, "Pascal Lehner" <tate83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Another rather n00b-ish question ;-)
>
> I have a SQLite database with about 15 tables. Some of them are
> obviously relational. Some of the tables will have a row added every
> 15 or 30 minutes, but only with 4-5 columns each, the others will be
> much smaller.
>
> I started to write my app using DBLib which works very nicely. I
> assumed that I have to handle the table-relations (update several
> fields in several tables if necessary) myself and remember to write
> the data everywhere where it is required.
>
> I installed Valentina Studio yesterday and see that Valentina actually
> can handle diagrams and automatically creates the connecting tables to
> handle m:m relations. Does that mean using the right command, I can
> also have the data automatically interlinked in these realtion tables?

Pascal,

Please note that
        Valentina Studio + SQLite DB

Is set of tools to work with SQLite DB.

Valentina DB -- this is something else.
Yes, Valentina Studio can work with Valentina DB also,
And exists Valentina DB ADK for Livecode.

---
If you want to use in your application, scripts generated by Valentina
Studio for SQLite db, just use them.

This is just SQL commands.

Never mind how you will call them:
  -- directly from LiveCode
  -- using some library as DBLib

Valentina DB ADK is NOT required for this absolutely.

> Now I'm wondering: Can I use Andre's DBLib to write the data to the
> database and get the relations handled automatically after I add some
> Valentina DB script to my stack? Or do I need to use the
> VDatabase-handles and probably loose the nice features like DBWhere
> from DBLIB? What would you do? Are there any VDatabase features that I
> just MUST have or use?

You can use DBLIb.

But automatically links ?

Actually this is one of MAJOR jobs for DB developer:
      take care about linking of records.

When you insert a record into T1 and T2, you take care about ID of one
record to be stored into record of another table.

MM-table also cannot autoamte this. Its GUI of your app will somehow manage
events when a record is added, and when records should be linked.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology