Cinnamon 1.4.0

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 10:27:08 EST 2013

Just put in xfce for someone.  Did the upgrade to Debian Testing, which is
fairly safe at this point, and there was Gnome3.  One look and a short play
was enough.

'You may not be real happy about this'
'No I definitely am not!'

Then we put in xfce, which is fine, except that the filenames on the desktop
are abbreviated and there are no desktop icons and all the old backup files
now appear again from Gnome, which they were marked invisible and hidden
before.  This is in the Debian testing version at least.  Also when you move
files around sometimes they get copied when you wanted to move them.  Better
but not quite right still.

Turns out however you can replicate the Gnome 2 experience if you set up to
run xfce as the desktop, but have it use nautilus as the file manager, by
using gnome-tweak-tool.

After all that, and a user staring at the screen a few times in horrified
disbelief, and a few hours tweaking, we are more or less back to where we
left off before the Gnome people went off the rails.  No, its not touch
screen, no its not a tablet, but its a desktop like we all know and love,
and it just works.

The only thing I have to figure out now is why the text under the desktop
icons is unchangeably in black, thus forcing a light desktop background.  Oh
well, there is probably a way.