What if....

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:45:20 EST 2013

One situation when the order of evaluation is important is if you have conditions that limit the scope of a general handler, eg:

if "field" is in the target and the locktext of the target = true then…

In this case the first clause is evaluated first, and if the target is something other than a field, the second clause is skipped and you avoid throwing an error. With the clauses switched in order, you throw an error if the target is, eg, a button.

I used to nest if statements:

if "field" is in the target then
   if the locktext of the target = true then…

... until I realized I could do it all in one line.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig