More about audio-video

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 23 17:15:39 EST 2013

On 1/23/13 3:31 PM, Robert Sneidar wrote:

> To say it needs to be portable, play audio and video, and you cannot
> require the installation of any software is perhaps a bridge to far.

Given the nature of the software though, the requirement is legitimate.

> Does any other development environment have the capability to
> natively embed audio and video codecs in a portable app and use them
> even if they are not installed in a system?

Actually, Alejandro suggested a clever app that can embed QT (or other
things) into your software, but I'm hesitant to use a solution that I
have no control over.

Since the client will be creating the video, my current thinking is to
create two versions, one in WMP native format and another in QT format.
The software will download the right one according to platform. That
seems the simplest way. The player object works on Windows with movies
in WMP format, though there are some bugs that need to be fixed
regarding scripted playback.

I got excited yesterday when I found that my Mac could also play WMP
movies, until I remembered I had Flip4Mac installed. It was a
short-lived high.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com