screen capture software/animated gifs

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Jan 22 12:59:54 EST 2013

I have found a solution to this problem.

I checked out the amount of CPU time that QT and other screen capture
programs used.  They all eat up 50% of the CPU even when there is nothing
going on on the screen.  I suspect this is because they are going through
their compression algorithms to write the video data to disk.

Turns out that causes problems for me other than the animated gif since
some of the actions I want to demo in the video are cpu intensive and take
almost twice as long to complete as they do without the screen capture
programs running.

I found one exception that is Screenium.  Even when capturing in compressed
mode, it still used only 20-25% of the CPU.  It also has an option to
capture uncompressed video which uses even less CPU.  It does take extra
time to exp[ort the video after the capture is complete but I'm willing to
take that trade off.  Interestingly, it has a note about recording
compressed video that it "may drop frames".  I believe this is what is
happening with my animated gif problem.

Colin, I think the reason we don't see the problem with your test scripts
is that they are not doing anything in the repeat loop other than wait.  My
stack has a lot of processing going in within the repeat loop and, as
mentioned, above, the execution time for that processing
is definitely affected by the presence of screen capture software.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>