[OT] How to apply for jobs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jan 20 14:51:52 EST 2013

Bob-

> Thanks for the responses. At least I know my gut reaction to
> these job descriptions is justified. I think I'll ignore them.
> Except of course when they require a security clearance that is
> typically a hard fast limit.

Having done this in the past, here's my way of "ignoring" them. On a
case by case basis, if a) I'm interested enough in the position and b)
I either fit most of the qualifications or think I can pick them up
easily enough along the way, I'll go ahead and submit an application.
If I can get to the phone interview I'll start out up front by saying
"Look, I don't have x or y or z qualification that was listed in the
job posting. If that's an absolute requirement then I'd rather not
waste both our times continuing with this discussion. But otherwise I
think this is a good fit and I'm quite interested in pushing on with
it." The conversation can go one of two ways at that point.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net