[OT] How to apply for jobs

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:04:28 EST 2013

On 01/20/2013 04:04 AM, Robert Sneidar wrote:
> Sorry, I feel the need to vent, and maybe someone here has some advice they can give me when applying for jobs. First, I go to these job descriptions and see that they want someone with a bachelors in science, 5+ years experience, plus 3 or 4 advanced certifications, with experience in database development, html programming, C, C++, various scripting languages, Active Directory Management, Linux, Unix, Vsphere SAN, virtualization technologies like HyperV and VMWare, etc. etc. etc. And the lofty position I am applying for? Server maintenance! Really?? Server maintenance???
>
> And then I see a line like this:
>
> Experience working with assembly languages such as HTML programming, MySQL, C, C , etc
>
> "erm... pardon me... HTML, mySQL and C are not, you know of course, assembly language... and assembly language is, of course, you know... not plural." is what I want to email them and say. So now I am thinking that they give some nobody the task of typing up the job requirements, so he throws the entire IT gamut at his word processor (having googled some IT catch phrases first), and calls it a job well done. Meanwhile, poor me is looking at all this and wondering if I should even apply, knowing that to have all that under my belt would qualify me for the CTO position at Microsoft, IBM or Apple for crying out loud!!!
>
> Should I ignore such requirements and apply everywhere I can, or just skip such jobs because whoever is in charge there clearly does not know what he is doing?
>
> Bob

Yup; that all seems a bit steep.

I administered a server at the University of St Andrews on the basis of
a BA in Philosophy and an MA in Applied Linguistcs; not knowing anything
whatsoever about servers. I talked an awful lot of "talk" at the
interview, and then, having got the job, shut myself in the cupboard
with the server and a manual (not forgetting the thermos of coffee) and
started learning how to do things.

Of course a lot of those requirements may just be a way for the people
advertising the jobs to avoid having to wade knee-deep through 10,000
application letters.

Just GO FOR IT!

OR . . .

Set up something of your own.