"launch document" synchronous on Linux only?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 19 22:20:31 EST 2013

Mark Wieder wrote:

> Richard-
>
> Saturday, January 19, 2013, 7:00:19 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> Hard to say. Is this native or in a VM?
>
>> Native.  VMs are for Windows. ;)
>
> Back off, dude <g> ... I've got LMDE in Virtualbox on a Fedora base.
> Sheesh... who in their right mind would run a linux VM on a native
> Windows base? "Linux with all the stability of Windows..."

Good point.  I should have said, "Native iron is for Linux."

> Or do you mean that as "quarantine Windows in a VM"... that's the way
> I have my work system set up. When I need XP I know where to find it,
> but otherwise it can't mess anything up.

My #1 support request every year is for replacement reg codes from
Windows users whose systems become infected/corrupted/bloated to the
point that they need to reinstall the system and start over.

Most of them have done this more than once.  Many do it every year.

I figure with a failure rate like that I can save time by just getting
Win set up how I need it in a VM, clone the VM file, and when it goes
bad I just throw it away and use another copy of the clone.

BTW: Have I said "Thank you!" for turning me on to VirtualBox?  Man,
that thing so outperforms Parallels in session restores that's been one
of the best FOSS discoveries I've ever made.  So thanks again for
introducing me to it. It's been a great workhorse for me.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World