Telephony in LiveCode

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Jan 18 10:03:20 EST 2013

On 17/01/2013 18:42, Robert Sneidar wrote:
> ALL USB devices are serial. That is what the S in USB stands for. You may mean I think, that the protocol is similar to 9 pin protocols like RS232? I don't think that is true, but I am not an expert in protocols.

Fair point.  What I meant (or at least, with hindsight, what I meant to mean!)
is that while it's true that LiveCode "has no USB support" the original poster
might well find that LiveCode on a modern machine with no RS232 port can
operate a USB modem in exactly the same way as HyperCard was able to operate
an RS232 modem on the hardware of that time.

LiveCode has no USB support, and for example I don't expect that it would be
easy to control an arbitrary USB-connected device in the absence of a driver
for it.  But responding to

 >>> USB modems are cheap and widely available.
 >>
 >> Of course, there's the problem that LiveCode has no USB support.
 >
 > yeah, that mean being stuck with RS-232 and a Keyspan USB adapter if
 > anything.

I would strongly suspect that a USB modem would be sold with a driver, and
that a LiveCode stack running on a machine on which the driver has been
successfully installed would be able to control it using the open
driver/serialControlString etc elements of the language.

Ben