More about audio-video

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jan 17 18:34:29 EST 2013

J. Landman Gay <jacque at ...> writes:

> In the Media Player app itself, all the above formats play perfectly. I
> did not need to download any extra codecs, not even for .mov files.

It gets worse. You can't rely on just the file extension.

The other day I pulled down a GoToMeeting archive as a .wmv file and VLC, my
go-to media player, wouldn't play it. Launched it in the Dreaded Windows Media
Player and it played just fine. The .wmv file was encoded in a format I've never
heard of before (Gsomething24, if I remember correctly), and it seems that only
the DWMP has the decoder built in.

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net