Asynchronous Audio on Windows?

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Tue Jan 15 15:55:21 EST 2013

Hmm, interesting. I'm trying to remember how we did it. It's been some time ago.

I just reviewed my code from nearly three years ago. Yikes! :-) So it looks like originally we checked the QTVersion to determine if QT was installed or not. This worked fine on a Mac, since QT was always installed. But in April of 2010, I commented out the code that does the QT check. Turns out it caused more problems, and actually caused the engine to attempt to load QT even though it wasn't installed. As a result, audio playback was erratic. So basically, if QT turns out to be installed, great. The engine will make use of QT for playing back audio files through a player object. If QT is *not* installed, that should be fine too, as some version of WMP was usually always installed, and the engine would make use of that in that case. I do believe this still causes the player object to lose it's playback controls, so you can't really let the user control playback in that case, but our app didn't require that anyway.

So, I'm not sure if you have a machine available without QT installed, but if so, give it a try. Maybe you could set up a VM to try it in? I think it should work okay for you.

Good luck.