Strange contents of long name

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Jan 15 15:10:16 EST 2013

I think this has been discussed before but it appears that the long name of
an object sometimes includes IDs rather than names.  Specifically, if a
control's name is empty, it's long name will use IDs rather than names for
all the objects in the control's owner hierarchy even if the owners have
non-blank names.

This seems wrong to me.  Obviously, it can't use the control's name but
that's no reason to not use the names of its owners.

I have a handler that is checking for specific name strings in a control's
long name which will not work because of the above.  It seems my only
alternative is to go chasing up the owner hierarchy to check for the
string.  I don't know for sure but it seems like that would take a lot
longer than parsing the long name.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>