OT: How to renew iOS Certificates?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 09:15:32 EST 2013

Thanks to both Dave and to Chris who wrote earlier. Given the agony that one has to go through, I am a bit surprised that nobody has yet replied with a snappy step-by-step guide. I chose LiveCode and other x-talks to be able to get straight to the point of creating stuff, and this kind of bureaucracy sure gets in the way of that.

At the moment I have a couple of days before my iOS Team Provisioning Profile expires (or maybe that should be a plural? There seem to be three of them attached to my iPad). I have been in touch with Apple's European Support people, who are very nice and quite responsive, but so far they have not removed all of my confusion. I am feeling my way, but some things I am still queasy about include:

1. The need to work using both XCode and the iOS Provisioning Portal (which is essentially a web site). It's not clear to me why I can't just manage everything in XCode but it seems I can't.

2. There are some actual wrong instructions as far as i can see, particularly in XCode Organizer where there is a 'renew' button when you display a profile which is about to expire  on a device, but clicking on it doesn't do anything, not AFAIKS anyway!

3. The jargon and the underlying model of digital signing and so on, which I find very very difficult. For example the word 'Certificate' is used on the web site but not (I think) in XCode; in XCode there seems to be only one type of object, a Provisioning Profile, but I have a feeling they come in different flavours, tho as this is not explicit, I'm not sure. There are distribution profiles too: I thought I had an Ad Hoc one, but I haven't found out what happened to it. I feel that there's a game with lots of rules, but all attempts to explain the rules are somehow lost on me. It doesn't help that I find the Apple documentation convoluted and very boring, like your least favourite subject at university.

Anyway thanks again for the help so far. If I get out of the wood (and I certainly hope to do so soon), I'll try to report back to the list.

Graham