REGEX and Livecode

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:30:11 EST 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 6:57 AM, David C. wrote:

> I think without question that they [regex] must be the most arcane, yet
> powerful programming tools ever devised

APL is surely a contender here, eg:

R<-1000
(~RεRº_xR)/R<-1|iR

gives you all the prime numbers less than 1000

(I had to approximate the special symbols that APL uses.) Extremely compact matrix/vector-based mathematical language, quite arcane…. My father worked his whole life in APL, developed an EDI application that is still used commercially. Completely different animal from regex or LC, though, no good for text processing -- AFAIK.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig