update to my book...

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Wed Feb 27 16:48:53 EST 2013

I have been talking to Packt about doing a second edition, or at least expansion of the book. I will try to time things so that there are physical books in time for September, which is when people whose reward includes the printed book are due to receive that award. I guess the ones getting the ebook in May would get the current version.

I would try to add appendices to cover what's involved in downloading the source code, adding a new feature, and submitting it back to RunRev. Assuming that's all in place by the time I'm done writing other things.

The start of the book would be expanded, to act better as an introduction to LiveCode (the current one only has one chapter intended for people new to LiveCode). Those new chapters would be describing LiveCode 6, so would be of some use to people who already know older versions. It would be nice if the natural language changes are under way, to explain how those works.

Then I need to go through the existing chapters and change screenshots and directions, to match how LC6 works. I will probably be removing all mention of MobGUI too, and replacing the affected parts with whatever the LC6 way of doing things will be.

All being well I can remove phrases like "this only works on iOS".

I need to submit an outline in the next few days, which will just be an educated guess as to how the book will be. I could fine tune that after the conference, if there is a better estimate of when new features will be arriving.