Modal vs modeless

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:31:10 EST 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 6:09 AM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Devin, For some odd reason I don't remember modal dialogs not having decorations.

All I did was do 'modal stack <stackname>' on my Mac and Windows boxes without anything fancy. So it appears that a "clean" title bar is what the HIGs call for.

> But I believe BYU's rev pages.

Wow! Don't know if I can take the pressure. I better go review every one of them for accuracy right now!

> So, If I want to block access but still allow for a close decoration do I have any other HIG compliant choices? I don't think so.

I always teach my students to add a close button (on mouseUp;close this stack;end mouseUp) BEFORE making any stack modal. But as far as HIG compliance goes, I'm far from the guru on that point. Richard G.?

Now, *modeless* is a different story--it has all the decorations.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University