Kickstarter Thoughts

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:03:16 EST 2013

On 02/25/2013 09:41 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:
> Yeah, but does that preclude people from donating directly to runrev at the
> same amounts with the same reward structure?  In fact, while there may be
> ethical concerns here, if you take out kickstarters portion, and whatever
> payment gateways portion (amazon in the states) They could end up at the
> same place with a lower amount of funding.

The whole idea of a commercial firm using the Kickstarter idea to raise
money for one of its projects
already involves 'ethical concerns'; but, unlike Richard Stallman and
Robespierre, I am not obsessed with ritual purity;

and Robespierre got his head chopped off,

and

Stallman ended up a voice crying in the wilderness.

So, B*gg*r the 'ethical concerns' (or, put it another way, we can all
bash Kevin on the nose if the Open Source version is not forthcoming)
and let's find a way to get this marvellous idea / opportunity working,
with or without involving Kickstarter;

it is too good a chance to let slip because neither you nor I have
bottomless supplies of money to stump up.

Richmond.

> Hopefully the issue will be moot and we'll shoot right on by the goal.
> Looks to be a real squeaker though.

Oink!