Richards talk seems to have gone down well

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 25 13:42:55 EST 2013

Monte Goulding wrote:

 > @jonobacon: Watching @FourthWorldSys speak about LiveCode at Ubucon.
 > Looks interesting. :-) #ubuntu

Thanks for that, Monte, and for the kind words, Paul.

Yes, UbuCon at SCaLE 11x was tons of fun for all.  Kevin's assistant
Mildred had some flyers printed for event which I distributed throughout
the conference as well, and all three days I had people coming up to me
asking me about this LiveCode thing. :)

Jono's great.  His role at Canonical is Ubuntu Community Manager, more
of less the central cat-herder between the hundreds of employees at
Canonical who make and support Ubuntu and thousands of people in the
rest of the world who make it happen together.

I've corresponded with him for some time (we'll have an interview with
him at LiveCode Journal at some point), and I finally met him in person
at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Oakland last May.  He's a powerhouse
of stong energy and great ideas for managing the various and sometimes
disparate views of community members.   We'll need someone like him in
the LiveCode community if this transition to open source is to work out.

One of my best moments at SCaLE this year was getting a signed copy of
Jono's book at the O'Reilly booth, "The Art of Community":
<http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/>

For anyone managing sizable communities, esp. in the open source
software world, this book is an invaluable compendium.

True to the free-and-open spirit which drives so much of the work Jono
does, a PDF version of the book is available at no cost from that site.

And if you want the printed version, or if you just want to encourage
O'Reilly to keep publishing books like this, you can purchase it here:
<http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021995.do>

And a big shout out to Jon Johns at O'Reilly. He's their community
support contact, helping local user groups get access to the various
products and services O'Reilly provides.  If you have a user group and
want to report on a new O'Reilly title or an upcoming O'Reilly event
with your members, drop me an email with your contact info and outline
of your organization and I'll pass it along to Mr. Johns.

You may recall the Linux command line cheat sheets I handed at out
RevLive in San Jose - those were from Jon Johns at O'Reilly.  He loves
to help user groups.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World