get type from the text of image

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Feb 22 16:19:38 EST 2013

OK.. came up with the following based on a StackOverflow answer on doing this in C. Anyone have anything better?:

function imageDataExtension pData
   if char 1 to 4 of pData is "GIF8" then
      return "gif"
   else if byteToNum(char 1 of pData) is 255 and  byteToNum(char 2 of pData) is 216 then
      return "jpg"
   else if byteToNum(char 1 of pData) is 137 and  byteToNum(char 2 of pData) is 80 and \
         byteToNum(char 1 of pData) is 78 and  byteToNum(char 2 of pData) is 71 then
      return "png"
   else if byteToNum(char 1 of pData) is 46 and  byteToNum(char 2 of pData) is 77 then
      return "bmp"
   else
      return "image"
   end if