1001 things to do with LiveCode - only 400 page views per day

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 18:25:53 EST 2013

Hi,

Last week I organised a trivia party with friends. We have been having a
trivial pursuit championship over the last 12 months. Having organised the
party I discovered that my electronic doo-hickey from the Trivia Pursuit
publishers is no longer supported so I couldn't add any more questions. What
to do? Well, if you have Livecode the answer is a bit obvious. Write my own.
That's what I did. It's not flash and it's not fancy. But, it took me about
a day to write an interface that allows me to upload trivia questions from a
text document and then select categories of question to ask during the game.
It's pretty much just an electronic pack of trivia pursuit cards.

The most interesting thing for me was that in that day of Livecoding I
decided that this really needed to be delivered as a mobile app. I have not
used Livecode for mobile development before so I thought this might be a
really big ask. In fact, this was incredibly easy. I still have to work on
resizing routines and I know I'm actually going to enjoy this tedious task
because Livecode is such an easy environment to play around in.

So, right now, I have a working Android app that sits on my phone. If I
spend a few more hours I know that I will have the same app prepared for
deployment on devices with different screen sizes. And a few more hours and
I will have developed a more efficient data management process as well.
Given that I am not a professional programmer this has really only been
possible because Livecode makes the task of developing application logic so
straightforward.

Here is a screenshot of the app- on my Windows machine. Not sure how to get
a screenshot of it running on my phone.
trviaApp.png
<http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/file/n4660827/trviaApp.png>

cheers