menuPick

Jim Schaubeck jimschaubeck at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 02:52:19 EST 2013

Peter,
I'm not exactly sure I'm answering your intended question but here's some thought...If you want to change your menu items dynamically and/or often then you can do this directly or indirectly by setting the text of the menu button.  For example I often used mouseDown to build and set the text of me to tData where tData was loaded with a few lines of whatever I wanted the menu selection to look like.

on mouseDown
set the text of me to "Buy Low" & cr & "Sell High"
end mouseDown

on menuPick theItem
if theitem is "Buy Low" then <or> if the menuHistory of me is 1 then
answer "Sell your car"
else
answer "Buy a new car"
end if
end menuPick

You can use switch/case instead of if/then for more control over decision making.

To set the menu items indirectly through script, you can easily do this through another handler (instead of the mouseDown) that builds the menu items one per line and then "set" the text of the menu button to the container holding the menu items you just built.

Once the menupick occurs you can check for the text of the item itself and make decisions or check the menuHistory of the button to find out what line was selected.  I hope I'm in sync with your question.

  jim schaubeck                                       jimschaubeck at yahoo.com/ 714.321.4499