Project Update #7: Next Generation LiveCode (Open Source) by RunRev Ltd

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:12:15 EST 2013

Quite honestly the Use-List, being text-only, has quite serious limitations
when it comes to explaining certain features of an Object-based language.

A new type of Use-List that allows contributors to upload pictures of
what they are
doing (/trying to do) would be a great leap forward.

Surely one of the great advantages of Livecode over languages such as
C++ is the WYSIWYG
aspect of the whole thing, and this should be accentuated . . .

. . . characters whose rejection of Livecode rests on the idea that it
is not a "real" programming language
(i.e. not a long list of tedious, hard-to-understand, symbols and text)
should have it pointed out to them that
if THAT is what constitutes a "real" programming language then Livecode
is MOST DEFINITELY NOT a "real"
programming language, and it, by its very nature, leaves "real" p. l.
(getting tired of keeping typing that) far
behind . . .

. . . and as such, our Use-List should be able to lever the visual
nature of Livecode programming just as well as
the thing itself . . .

A picture is worth a thousand words,

and, for school children (and chaps like me who have never been
particularly hot at pure mental abstraction)
  a few explanatory pictures could go a long way where a few paragraphs
of text might be a major turn-off,
leaving children reaching for the XBox.

Richmond.