about the GPL version, and password protection...

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Feb 18 20:03:20 EST 2013

Hi Monte,
I'm still somewhat confused by GPS licensing for plugins, especially
helpers like my lcStackbrowser. It's purely a dev tool, nothing to be
included in a standalone. I'm under the impression I cannot charge for it
under the GPS license. In the scenario where debs use the gel version and
only buy a commercial license, it seems it's dead in the water.

It is password protected but I've benn considering dropping that since
LC does not provide a way to intercept runtime errors and do something
other than display the script password prompt. Makes support somewhat of a
crapshoot,

Pete

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013, Monte Goulding wrote:

> On 19/02/2013, at 6:41 AM, Colin Holgate <coiin at verizon.net <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Well, there's your problem then! Hopefully there will be a way for
> plugin makers to create plugins that can work for the GPL version, if need
> be by using a different way to protect their code.
>
> Ideally most will see the advantage of dual licensing. What's going to
> happen is there's going to be lots and lots of people building 99% of their
> app using the GPL version and only buying commercial when they are ready to
> release. If people have been using the plugin then they will need a license
> for that too... unless the plugin is just a helper. Helpers are a little
> more complicated because unless some code is included in the distributed
> app then dual licensing won't help the developer. It could still be
> released under a standard commercial license that inhibits distribution but
> it would need to be unprotected.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Monte Goulding
>
> M E R Goulding - software development services
> mergExt - There's an external for that!

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>